Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Sunny Morning After a Night's Rainfall, with Fresh Herbal Tea

I woke up early this morning, after a beautiful night of rain. After my yoga and some bone broth soup, I headed out to Hayes Valley Farm to help harvest vegetables for Project Open Hand, for their meal program.

It was a beautiful sunny morning, and as I arrived at the back gate of the garden, the sun was just shining over the hill that is the old off ramp (pre-1989 earth quake), the many droplets of water shimmering on the greenery.

Instant healing for the soul.

I crossed paths with another volunteer who was there to show me how to do the harvest. We spent over an hour collecting collards, kale, and various greens, trying some along the way that I had never heard of and can't remember their name now. Yum!

At the end of the harvest, I collect some lavender and fennel, also fresh with dewy drops of rain. As I write, I am sipping a tea made with these herbs, as well as mint from my garden. This is a great tea for me, especially since I just ate lunch, as all of these herbs help digestion. At least, the lavender is very soothing. Fennel promotes digestion, as does mint. Both reduce gas and nausea.

Fresh herbal tea reminds me of my grandmother Luna. I read an old journal entry recently, where I explained that it was when she moved in with us, that she introduced us to making tea with fresh garden herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment